How To Apply for Marriage Permission In Algeria
The marriage between two Algerian citizen as well as a non-native of Algeria is controlled by a circular notification concerning the entry and stay for foreigners living in Algeria. When one or both guests does not belong to an Algerian citizen the couple needs to get permission to marry from the Wilaya or Prefecture (Bureaux des Etrangers) in which the marriage will be completed.
The prefecture issue an authorization based on the results of investigation and, if necessary interview with security forces. Without approval of the Wilaya or Prefecture (Bureaux of Etrangers) in the area you reside. The marriage is not registered in the registry of population.
How do I apply
- Make sure you have all the necessary documents as listed in the list of required documents below. Then, visit the prefecture of the district, or wilaya, in which your wedding will take place.
- Upload the necessary documents and fill out the application form.
- You’ll be required to attend the central police department with your spouse. You will be asked questions concerning your religious beliefs, education or employment, as well as personal details.
- Then , the foreign partner will be able to take photos and finger prints taken as well as description of the physical appearance.
- Police will carry out an investigation and report their conclusions to the prefecture office.
- The Prefecture (Bureaux des etrangers) department is then able to issue the authorization in accordance with the investigation conducted by the police.
Documents Required Marriage Permission
The Algerian party has submitted
- A birth certificate
- Civil status certificate,
- Residence certificate
- Copies of ID document.
The user from another country submits
- A civil status certificate,
- Birth certificate,
- Photocopy of passport
- Residence permit
- Confirmation that you have converted to Islam, NB with foreign women is not required
- Permit to marry for people from countries where it is required. If required, proof of the termination of prior marriages (decree absolute or death certificate).
- Medical certificates
Office Locations and Contacts
Wilaya from Algiers:
20 Boulevard Zirout Youcef, Algiers (Next to Essafir Hotel)
Bureau Des Etrangers. Tel: 021 73 00 73
Wilaya de Chlef
City Chirifi Kaddour CHLEF
Phone: +213 27 77 11 89
Fax: +213 27 77 70 29
Ministry of Justice:
8 Place Bir
BP 298 Hakim el-Biar
Tel: 213 292 4183
Fax: 213 279 6557
Ministre des Affaires Etrangres:
1 Rue Ibn Batrane,
Ministere de la Solidarite Nationale et de la Famille:
Rabea Mechernene, 16000 Alger
Ph#: (213-2) 719-138
Fax#: (213-2) 739-996
Office of international travelers (Bureaux des Etrangers) : Bureaux des etrangers
What Are All The Eligibility
- Foreigners need to apply for an official permit through the Algerian government before they can marry with a citizen of Algeria.
- You must be 19 or over.
This document will be valid for six months from the date it was issued. If you don’t marry your Algerian spouse within six months from the date of issuance of the Algerian Marriage certificate then you have to apply again with new documents to support your application.
3-4 weeks to verify the documents. It takes 3 to 4 weeks for the documents to be authenticated.
- Check your eligibility for the application.
- Assess the chances of success in your specific situation.
- Check that your forms are correct as well as accurately expressing the specifics of your case for the best chances of success.
- Make sure you have all the required and correct documents to support your application.
- Send your application to the Algerian government
The Information You Need
- Passport number.
- Name of the person who is applying
- Medical certificate
- The names of the spouses
- Self addressed envelope with stamp
- The date and the place of birth of both spouses
Need to have the Document
Without the consent and approval of the prefect, your marriage will not be registered in the registry of population, so you need this document to register your marriage.
Information that can be useful
- You have to prove to Algerian officials that you are in no way currently engaged to someone else or you’ve not been married before or all divorces are finalized that your identity has been proven and that you have not committed any crime in Algeria.
- This is accomplished by supplying different documents like an Affidavit of Single-Status in the direction of the Algerian government, either directly in Algeria or through an Algerian Embassy.
- The legal age for union legally married in Algeria is 19 , for males and females. However, a judge is able to allow an age exemption based on an interest-related reason or in cases of need.
- Since the only language that is recognized by the government of Algeria is Arabic documents must be translated intoArabic to be used in the application
- Documents are also sent to Algeria and Algerian embassies by courier to ensure security,confidentiality, and confirmation of delivery.