How to Apply For Obtain a Pet Passport (Import Export or Transport Pet) in Hong Kong

Apply For Obtain a Pet Passport (Import Export or Transport Pet) in Hong Kong

Pets imported into HTML0:

  1. Get your pet examined by a vet You’ll need to be examined by a licensed veterinarian. Certain of the documents you’ll need to show upon arrival of your pet at Hong Kong will be issued by your veterinarian. Your vet is also the person who issues the pet’s passport.
  2. If you’re outside Hong Kong : You could use the contact information that is listed beneath “Office Locations & Contacts” to connect with the closest Chinese Embassy to the country in which in which you currently reside. The office could be in a position to give you details on pet passports as well as pet-related permits.
  3. Before you decide to transport your pet Be sure you have all the necessary documents, and get contact with the official in charge of the import/export of live animals within the country that your pet will be arriving from, and also in Hong Kong. If you’re considering flying together with your animal, you can be able to contact the airline’s company. They might be able to give you more information regarding pet passports as well as how you can transport your pet to another country.
  4. Special Permits for your Pet:
    1. The application should be submitted on the prescribed form (Form No. AF240) (PDF format). Facsimile copies can be obtained by calling the interactive number: (852) 2708 8885. The form can be obtained by calling (852) 1823.
    2. If you are importing animals to trade it is necessary to obtain the Animal Trader License in advance.
    3. It is required to present the Hong Kong Identity Card or passport to submit the application. To apply by post applicants must fill out the application form, a cheque along with a photocopy of Hong Kong Identity Card or passport. Note that the documents submitted cannot be returned.

Required Documents For Obtain a Pet Passport

Pets with special permits:

  • Application is complete
  • Hong Kong Identity Card or passport for the applicant when they submit their application. For applications made via postal mail applicants, they must submit the application form and a cheque and a copy of the Hong Kong Identity Card or passport.

Office Locations and Contacts

Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department5/F Department of The Cheung Sha-Wan Government Offices
303 Cheung Sha Wan Road

Fax: (852) 2311 3731
Contact email :

Chinese Embassies


Special Permits: Valid for six months and just one shipment. Animals must be imported before the expiry date of permit.

Documents to Utilize

Special Permit – Application Form


Before you arrive to Hong Kong, you have to obtain the Special Permit, and pay the cost to bring your pet back to the country.

Documentation is needed

This document provides you with information on how to take your pet dogs or cats Hong Kong and how can you apply for the Pet Passport or Special Permit for your pet.

Information that could be helpful

The Public health (Animals as well as Birds) Ordinance Cap. 139, as well as the Rabies Ordinance Cap. 421, are executed by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department by regulating the import of birds and animals for the prevention of and introduction of diseases affecting animals, including Rabies in Hong Kong.

External Links




Leave a Comment