How to Apply for Permanent Residence Permit In Norway

Apply for Permanent Residence Permit In Norway By Online


In order to obtain an permanent residence permit you must have resided within Norway for a continuous time of three years , during which you held permits that form the basis of this type of permit, and completed your education in Norwegian. Norwegian language.

It was within Norway for a prolonged amount of time

You must have been in Norway for at least three consecutive years to be eligible for permanent residence (see the above exceptions). In these three years you must have been a holder of residence permits which form the foundation for being able to live permanently. This includes people who were granted protection or asylum, residence due to strong humanitarian reasons as well as the majority of family immigration permits and skilled worker permits as well as permits for specialists. There is not a requirement anymore that your stay been based on the same criteria for the whole period of three years. This means you could hold different types of permits, however they have to all be of a kind that provides an element of permanent residency.

If you’re unsure whether the permits you currently hold and have had for a while form the basis for permanent residence It is possible to verify this on the letter you received at the time you received the prior permits.

Note:The UDI is revising the process we use to take care of applications for permanent residency permits. This means the processing time for your case will be significantly shorter than it used be. This is why it is crucial to wait to apply for permanent residence permits until you feel you’ve been in Norway with permission to reside for the minimum amount of time. If you make an application too early it could be denied.

Continuous Stay

For your stay to be continuous you must:

  • Not have greater than 3 months in between permit renewals in the past three years. There might be times that you resided that you were not granted any residence permits because you submitted an application for renewal after your previous residence permit expired. The time period is calculated as a period from the time your permit was expired until the time the time you filed an application for an extension of your residence permit.
  • It is unlikely that they have remained outside Norway for over seven months in the past three years (see the following list of exceptions).

To see example and to know more:

The time period for residence is calculated as of the date you first received your residence permit which is the basis for permanent residence permits.

  • If you received this type of permit prior to when you arrived in Norway your time of residence is considered to have begun at the time you made a police report.
  • If you resided in Norway at the time you applied for a permit, your time of residence will be deemed to have begun from the date you were granted the permit.
  • In the event that you are granted asylum your residence period is considered to have begun at the time you submitted your asylum application.
  • When you’re a refugee resettlement Your period of residence is considered to have begun from the day the day you entered Norway.

Your application should be made while you possess an active residency permit.

In the main, you’re only eligible for an annual residence permit only in the event that you apply within the deadline. This means that your application must be completed in the time you are a holder of an active residence permit. If you apply for permanent residence permits following the expiration of your previous residence permit expires the police will take into consideration the application as an renewal application. The police will forward your application for permanent residence in the direction of Directorate of Immigration. Directorate of Immigration to be considered.

To be able to remain in the same conditions as before your application has been accepted, you need to apply for permanent residence for at the least one month prior the expiration date of your residence permit. If you submit your application later than this time, you could be granted residence under the same conditions as long as the time your application is decided by assessments by the Directorate of Immigrations assessment.

Conduct requirement for good conduct

It is possible that the Directorate of Immigration can reject the application for permanent residence permits when you’ve been convicted to a criminal conviction that could lead to expulsion. If you’re not expelling then a second period of residency will be required prior to being qualified for a permanent residency permit. This additional period is counted starting from the point at which you have met all the criteria to get the permanent residence permit.

Requirements to complete the course for the Norwegian or Sami social studies and language

The evidence that shows that the tuition stipulated within the Introduction Act has been completed is required when submitting an application for permanent residence permits.

  • The applicants who received their first permit following the 1st September of 2005:

In accordance with the Introduction Act, foreign nationals aged between 16 to 55 who, on or after September 1, 2005 received the first residence or work permit that serves as the basis of an permanent residence permit are entitled to an obligation and right to finish their studies for Norwegian or Sami. Norwegian or Sami social studies and language.

If you received the first residency permit which was the basis for your permanent residence prior to 1 January 2012, then you must attend school for Norwegian or Sami Norwegian or Sami Language (at least 250 hours) and social studies (at at least 50 hours)

  • The applicants who receive their first permit following the 1st of January, 2012

If you received the first residency permit, which was the basis for your permanent residence following January 1st 2012, you will be required to have completed your tuition for Norwegian or Sami Language (at least 550 hours) Norwegian or Sami Language (at least 550 hours) as well as social studies (at minimum fifty hours). This only applies when you apply for a permanent residence permit following the 1st January of 2015.

The exemptions to the requirement complete 600 hours

Workers from countries that are not part of the EU/EEA/EEA EFTA zone as well as their relatives who are required to take part in 300 hours of tuition , but not entitled to receive education for free are exempt from the requirement to increase it to 600 hours.

This group will have the obligations to finish their tuition for Norway or the Sami language. Norwegian or Sami Language (at least 250 hours) and social studies (at minimum fifty hours).

Successful completion of the course at the following training locations are deemed to be approved by the following authorities:

  • municipal adult education center
  • Training providers with whom the municipality has reached an agreement with
  • schools online and education which are accredited in accordance with the Adult Education Act
  • Folk High Schools which are regulated according to the “Folkehgskoleloven”
  • colleges and universities which have been accredited under the Higher Education Act, or
  • private service provider that is that has been approved from the National Agency for Lifelong Learning (VOX).

If you are enrolled in Norwegian and social studies is offered by the adult education department of the municipality and social studies department, you need to attach the certificate of participation of the community.

When Norwegian classes are taught by a certified service provider, then the municipal is under not the obligation of registering the course. It is required to provide documentation from the service provider that proves you have successfully completed Norwegian classes. Additionally, you need to submit documentation that you have completed the 50 hours of mandatory social studies.

Participants who are offered tuition from a private institution for the benefit of a municipal entity must be considered to be regis

Required Document For Apply for Permanent Residence Permit

Permanent residency is the status of a visa holder The person is able to stay indefinitely in the country in which they are not citizens. The person who has this status is referred to as permanent residents.

Permanent residence permits holders to live as well as work within Norway for a period of time. The permit also offers an increased protection against being expelled.

To be eligible for permanent residence permits, you must have an exact type of residence permit.

A few examples of permit that could be used as a basis for permanent residency:


  • allow as a skilled worker or expert
  • the right to work as a self-employed
  • permits as an employee on a permanent basis for the Norwegian shipping firm. You must have worked on a vessel that is registered with The Norwegian Ordinary Ship Register for at least 4 times in the past 6 years.


  • Permits to allow family immigration for an Norwegian citizen or a national from one of the Nordic countries or a foreign resident with a permanent residence visa or a citizen of another country with a permit that serves as a basis for the permanent residence permit.
  • A permit if at least the parent you were born to were Norwegian citizen at the time you were born.

Other types of residence permits/asylum

  • Permit for asylum/resettlement as a refugee
  • Refugee Permit
  • permit granted due to strong humane considerations or a specific connection to Norway or on an particular basis, unless it’s stated on the letter of decision that it will not be renewed and it is not an element of an ongoing residence permit.
  • permits are issued to Iraqis who have previously been issued an MUF-permit (special permissions for temporary residency)

If you’re not sure if your permit is a prerequisite for permanent residence permits This information in the letter of decision you received at the time you obtained the current permit.

Note this list of examples that don’t form the basis for an temporary residence license.

  • EU/EEA/EFTA-registration
  • Visits with parents (residence permission to allow children visiting Norway from up to nine month)
  • Fianc permit
  • student permit
  • au pair permit
  • Seasonal worker permit

To know more about residence permits that can form a basis for a permanent residence permit:



Leave a Comment