How To Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Antigua and Barbuda

How To Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Antigua and Barbuda

Most important you can do in order to legally change the name of your business is begin with a new name. Introduce yourself with the new identity, complete forms and applications with you new identity, and tell all your family members and friends to use your new name. Also, inform your employer and/or school of your new name.

If you would like to be identified by an alternative name, you may alter your identity at any point and only if you do not intend to deceive , or fraud another person. There isn’t any legal procedure that you must follow to change the name. Simply start using your new identity. You can change your first name or surname, include names, or change your existing names.

While there isn’t a legal method to change a name, you might need proof that you altered your identity. You cannot, however, alter the information in your birth certificates only in certain situations.

If you decide that you want to alter your personal name you can now use your new name for any purpose including publishing marriage bans or legal proceedings and getting the correct information on a driving license or passport.

Documents Required Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

  • Identification documents
  • Birth certificate
  • Police Clearance Certificate

Office Locations and Contacts

High Court of Justice, Civil RegistryRegistrars Division
P.O. Box 163
Tel: 462?3744/0609
Fax: 462?3929
Ministry Of Legal Affairs

What Are All The Eligibility

Every person has the right to alter their identity.

Adults and children alike are able to change their names for many reasons.


Typically, you are able to legally change the name of your family to any name you’d like to. However, there are exceptions however:

  • You shouldn’t change your name to get rid of debts or to avoid criminal charges.
  • It is not possible to change your name to commit an offense.
  • You shouldn’t alter your name to deceive. It is usually done by taking the name of a celebrity. The courts generally don’t allow this, unless there is evidence that is not connected to the celebrity or the usage of his or her name.
  • You shouldn’t pick a name that is confusing because it has punctuation marks or numerals. But, certain judges have allowed people to spell out numbers, like “Seven” rather than “7”.
  • It is not possible to choose names that are likely to frighten or offend anyone, or be considered to be obscene.
  • It is impossible to select a racial insult.

Requirements Information

  • Your name appears on your birth certificate, documents of citizenship or immigration.
  • The full name that you are applying to change (if you’re making a change to your identity).
  • Place and date of birth
  • Details about marital status and other details
  • The places of residence for the at least three months
  • Address for correspondence

Documentation is needed

If you have or are planning to use an alternative name to the name you registered There are no laws that require to change your name in a formal manner. However, it is advised to change your name in a formal manner to be able to identify yourself and to prove your name change.

Name change typically refers to the legal action of an individual who adopts the name of a different person from the name they had at birth either through marriage or adoption. The procedure and the ease of changing names differ in different the jurisdictions.

Information that can be useful

There is no need for evidence of legality that you’ve switched your names, as long as you can prove that you are able to be identified with your new name. However, there are certain situations, such as seeking a passport where additional proof of the name change is required. The proof required is contingent on the reason it is required and could include:

  • A note from a responsible person
  • A public announcement
  • a statutory declaration
  • a deed poll.

Other uses for the document/certificate

You may wish you to alter your name based on:

  • You just got married
  • You’ve been divorced
  • If you just want to make a change

External Links

Government of Antigua and Barbuda

How To Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Antigua and Barbuda
How To Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Antigua and Barbuda

Government Websites Directory

Government Directory

Ministry Of Legal Affairs


The method you use for changing your name depends on which category you fall into. The process of changing your name after divorce or marriage is easy, whereas changing your name simply because’ takes a bit more effort, but is not difficult and much easier than it was in the past.

If you want to modify your personal name, send an application to your nearest Superior Court that details the reasons for changing your name. If the court accepts the petition, you’ll have to change the information on your Social Security card, driver’s license, and passport.

Leave a Comment