How to Obtain a Licence to Operate a Private Secondary School In Uganda

Obtain a Licence to Operate a Private Secondary School In Uganda By Online

  1. A permit for private secondary schools is available from the Ministry of Education and sports in accordance with the Education Statute Act 2008.
  2. The intending proprietor should collect forms for licensing a private Secondary school from MoES HQ/district/Municipal Education Office and fills them in triplicate following requirements as listed below.
    • A clearly identified proprietor. He/she must be an individual or an organization with a good standing, with no criminal record , and have sufficient funds to run the kind of institution that is proposed to be set up.
    • A prospective owner must obtain recommendations of LCI, LCIII and opinion/religious leader.
    • The proposed school/institution has to conform to the District or Municipal Education Plan and must be in accordance with the updated Education Sector Strategic Plan.
    • Documentation of ownership or lease for the land upon which the school/institution will be located or a an agreement for tenancy that lasts at least (5) 5 years in the case of secondary schools and eight years for elementary schools (in the case of buildings that are hired)
    • It must have been designed and constructed to serve the needs of a school.
    • There should be enough space to expand playgrounds, expansion schools, school gardens as well as physical education (urban schools could be considered to be particular instances).
    • It is necessary to have an approved development plan specifically for the period of the license, and evidence that 10 percent of the plan’s funds are in place.
  3. After these have been put in place the owner of the business is able to write to MoES’s Permanent Secretary (PS/ES), MoES, to explain his intentions and asking for direction.
  4. Complete the application form according to the guidelines of the Ministry of Education and sports and it must be accepted from the District Education Officer (DEO)
  5. The owner seeks to have an inspection of the school or institution through DIS/MIS and the D/MHI to determine if the school is in compliance with the standards that are set forth within Section 31 in the Education – (Pre-Primary, Primary and Post-Primary) Act 2008.
  6. The District/Municipal Superintendents of schools (D/MIS) along with District/Municipal health inspectors (D/MHI) after an inspection, prepare detailed inspection reports and also endorse the forms of application and forward the application to DEO/MEO for approval. forms.
  7. The District/Municipal Education Officer forwards (3) three copies of the application forms along with any supporting documents necessary to (3) three folders in the PS/ES (in the case for post-primary) and CAO/Town Secretary (in the case of primary).
  8. The PS/ES (in the case for post-primary) or the CAO/Town Clerk (in the case of primary) in reliance on reports or recommendations of the district or on a report of a physical examination by the inspectors approves or denies the application for licensure.
  9. The Town Clerk/PS/ES/CAO/Town Clerk, upon approval gives an operational license for the school/institution that will last at least (2) 2 school year in accordance with Section 32 of Education – (Pre – Primary, Primary and Post – Primary) Act 2008, and copies of the licence are delivered to the Director for Directorate of Education Standards, District/Municipal Education Officer and District Superintendent of Schools.
  10. MoES/DEO/MEO has one file. the second file is reserved for the DEO (in the case that they are post-primary) and the final file will be for school. The owner ensures that the school gets the copy.
  11. Six months before the expiration of the two-year licence, the owner is required to collect in the MoES (Headquarter) District/Municipal Offices for Education a Form for registration.
  12. If the school is not eligible to be registered, the owner must apply for renewal of the license within one month of the expiration of the license. It is granted only once. The license renewal period is the duration of one (1) year. If at the conclusion of the renewal year the school’s owner isn’t in a position to officially register the school the school, it will be shut down in a short time by PS/ES.
  13. All new institutions or schools should be established at the start in the school year according to the dates stated in the schools/institutions calendar that is issued from time to moment from the Ministry of Education and Sports. Application for licensure schools like Pre-Primary primary, Secondary and Primary schools, must be sent to the PS/ES / CAO/Town Clerk beginning in June. Licenses are issued by 30th December so that classes start in February or January of the previous year.
  14. The owner is required to provide proof of occupancy permit that covers the school buildings.

Required Documents For Obtain a Licence to Operate a Private Secondary School

The person who is the owner with the intention to manage a Secondary School must possess the following requirements:

  1. A copy of the certificate proving an educated and certified Graduate Head teacher who is registered at the Ministry of Education and Sports and not less than five years of continuous teaching experience.
  2. A copy of the document proving the teachers’ registration or licensed by the Ministry of Education and Sports.
  3. The proof document must show at least 7 teachers working full-time and 3 of these must be mathematics and science teachers for post primary.
  4. Evidence of at minimum one house of staff located in or near to the property.
  5. A minimum of the size of 10 acres (urban areas will receive priority) however, the size of the classroom (floor area) must not be lower than 5.8 meters by 7.8 metres (51.04 m2) or 5.8 millimeters across 7.8 millimeters (45.24 meters).
  6. A copy of the document indicating the minimum enrollment of 45 students in a class, per teacher, except for international schools, and no more than 60 students per class.
  7. Evidence of a general science laboratory Laboratory.
  8. A proof document for a library set up at school.
  9. A proof of toilet facilities (squatting/Asian type is preferred) to 40 pupils as well as sanitation amenities (washing as well as changing) for girls.
  10. Evidence of a proper security arrangement (in compliance of the minimum standards and the basic requirements set forth in the guidelines for safety and health issued published by the Ministry of Education and Sports).
    • Inspector General of Police guidelines.
  11. A copy of the Document that outlines First Aid kits.
  12. Evidence of operation school of Governors. of Governors.

Additional required documents:The proprietors must attach these documents to the application forms for licensure These documents are required for licensing:

  1. Photos of the school’s general facilities, for example
    • Classrooms equipped with furniture
    • A four-classroom block
    • Science lab with the basic equipment needed for post primary schools or institutions.
    • Separate pit latrines/toilets for female and male students.
    • Administration block, etc.
    • The signpost for the school must be visible on at minimum one of the photos.
  2. Or a Land Title, or sales agreement(s)
  3. If the premises are rented make sure that the lease agreement is signed by the tenants and the time period must not be shorter than 4 years
  4. Drawing of the building plan, which is technically accurate and clearly indicating the school’s name and specifications for building.
  5. The location plan clearly shows the the location
  6. Partnership Agreements, as well as Articles of Association in case of partnerships.
  7. Original certified copies of teachers’ academic and professional records
  8. CV of the Proprietor and recent photograph(s)
  9. Curriculum vitae of the head teacher and a recent photo
  10. Bank Statement to prove the liquidity of school (sufficient to pay the staff for three months)
  11. Copy of the document containing the conditions and terms of service applicable to the various types of staff that will be employed by the school.
  12. Code of conduct/School rules approved by the BOG or Management Committee
  13. The detailed Superintendent’s School Report
  14. A detailed report of the District Health Inspector’s report
  15. 3 Referees LC.1 Chairperson LC 1 Secretary for Education, and a local religion/opinion leader
  16. L.C III Chairperson’s letter confirming that the school falls within the sub-county plan
  17. Evidence of the existence of facilities for co-curricular activity play area
  18. Acceptance and signed appointment letters (contracts) that last at least one calendar year, with every member of the teaching and non-teaching staff.

All of the above applies to a formal request for the licensing of the school.

Office Locations and Contact

Ministry of Education and Sports Director Office.
Physical Address Lot 35 Kampala Road, King George way IV
Embassy House and Legacy Tower Block A and B Kyadondo Road.
Mailing Address P.O.Box 7063 Kampala, Uganda
E-mail Address:
Web site: Ministry of Education and sports


  • Anyone, who would like to start an elementary school can apply.
  • The school’s chairman or person in charge of the school must be aware that schools registered as independent have to operate within the limitations set in the Constitution and National as and District legislation.


Contact the department office to inquire about any additional fees. However, registration and license for schools is completely free.


Valid for two years.

Documents to Utilize

Processing Time

Maximum Processing Time: 6 Weeks.


  • Every school that is created must make sure that there aren’t disqualification of students based regardless of their race or gender in offering admission or providing an education of the highest standard after admission.
  • The school should give its students with the opportunity to develop and also be certain that its students are able to participate for the academic, social and job market.
  • When a school operates more than one campus under the same name, each site must be supervised by an accountable person in charge of it.

The Information You Need

  • The details of the applicant
  • Information about the school.
  • Capital cost
  • Information about business
  • Specifics about the composition of staff

The Document is required

  • It is required that the Government be informed of and asked to approve any new creation of an education environment. This must be done according to the prescribed format, as defined in the Municipal/District Educational Department.

Information that can be useful

The following actions are being taken by the Director of Primary and Secondary Education:-

  1. Section 31: Ensures that the conditions for the establishment of a private school or institution are met.
  2. Section 32: Grants the permission (licence) to run a private school or institution.
  3. Section 33:Awards classification to different categories of Private schools/institutions.
  4. Section 34:Registers Private schools/institutions.
  5. Section 35:Keeps a register of all registered and classified Private Schools/institutions.
  6. Section 36:Cancels the classification and registration of any private institution or school that is registered with the Ministry of Education and Sports and orders the closure of the school that:
    • Does not meet the conditions in Section 31 of the Act;
    • Is it being managed or conducted in violation or in violation of Act;
    • Ceases serve as a school/institution
    • The owner of the business has failed to meet the requirements of a notification served on him or her pursuant to Section 45 of the Act.
  7. Section 37:Closes all institutions or schools that has changed ownership without the approval from the Director of Education.The owner of the school/institution has committed an offense and is subject to be fined if found guilty.
  8. Section 38:Rejects or approves any proposed extension to an existing registered school/institution (on grounds that the school/institution extension in question cannot properly be administered as part of the existing registered school/institution)and require the owner to apply for the registration and classification of the proposed extension as a new school/institution.
  9. Section 39: An Appeals Tribunal, established by the Minister, considers instances of owners of schools or institutions who have been harmed due to a decision of the Director of Education.
  10. Section 40: Brings to court for a conviction of anyone who:
    • Intentionally establishes or operates an establishment or school (i.e. that is not licensed/classified, and registered according to the Act);
    • Conducts or permissions to conduct any school or institution that is ordered to shut down
    • Conducts or permits to conduct at any institution or school, the classification or registration for which have been removed;
    • Allows or administers the administration of any extension as part of an established registered school or institution that is in violation the provisions of Section 38. Act.
  11. Section 41: Allows a private institution or school that was closed under Sections 36 or 37 of the Act to reopen and be registered again in the register.

External Links



Leave a Comment