How to Obtain a Single Status Letter (Certificate) In Uganda

Obtain a Single Status Letter (Certificate) In UgandaApply through Agent By Online

This letter is addressed to Ugandans who wish to have their wedding ceremonies performed outside of Uganda. It confirms that the person applying is single and is able to be married.

HOW to apply

  1. Visit the local Registry of Marriages in your area of residence with all the documents required and the fees recommended by the Registrar of Marriages.
  2. You will be questioned by the register. You will be must fill out the application form, and then sign the affidavit, and then pay the application fee
  3. The register will then check all the details and if all the information are correct, you will be issued with a certificate

Agent Contacts

(There might be additional costs associated for this process). Agent Disclosure

Angualia Busiku and Co. AdvocatesContact Email :,,
Contact Phone: +256774477656, (256774110111)
Website: URL to website

The hours and days of operation are 8:30 am until 5:45 pm

Required Documents For Obtain a Single Status Letter

  • The recommendation of the LC1 chairperson of the town in which the applicant lives.
  • Photocopies of the applicant’s lengthy birth certificate is required to establish parentage.
  • A proof of nationality such as an identity card or passport. card.
  • A legal declaration that is registered by the applicant to prove that they are single.
  • A legally registered declaration from the parent to show that their son/daughter is not married.

Office Locations and Contacts

Uganda Registration Services Bureau

Address:Plot 5. George Street, Georgian House
P.O. PO Box 6848 Kampala Uganda
Telephone: +256 414 233 219 , Call center +256 338 100
Whatsapp: +256 712 448 448
Toll free: 0800 100 006
Fax: +256 414 250 712



Posta Uganda Main office,
Kampala Road Booths 2 and 3.
UIA Offices, Twed Plaza (1st Floor) Lumumba Avenue.
Nakivubo – Sekaziga House Floor 1, Nakivubo mews.

Plot 3,
Park Crescent.
Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs

Plot 1,
Kamukuzi Hill Gulu
Lot 6B Princess Road

Uganda Embassy and consulate around the world


  • Ugandans looking to have their weddings conducted outside of Uganda


  • Fees to be paid: Ug Shs. 25,000/-

Processing Time

  • immediately, if all data is correct.


Also, be aware that a basic Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment might not be enough by itself to permit the marriage to occur in a foreign nation. It is possible that you will be required by authorities of the country to adhere to these requirements, so ensure you have enough time to process.

  • Certificates could require translation.
  • Certificates could require endorsement or exchanged for an locally acceptable certificate issued by the Embassy or Consulate in the country you plan to get married.
  • Certificates could require legalization i.e. authentically stamped, also known in the field of Apostille.
  • Certificates can require witnesses to sign an Affidavit affirming that you’re legally married and that it is attached to the.

The Information You Need

  • The full name of the person applying
  • Identification number or passport
  • Date and Place of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Gender
  • Statement
  • Date
  • The signature of the individual who signs the declaration
  • Signature of witnesses

The Document is required

  • This is a document that confirms the married single and not bound through marriage

Information that can be useful

  • To allow non-nationals to get married in a foreign country, you’ll most likely have to provide legally valid documentation from your home country to prove that you are single and that you are able to marry. This is called”Certificate Of No Impediment and is also known as a ‘Certificate De Coutume’, ‘Certificate de Nulla Osta’, or a “Certificate of Freedom to Wed’.
  • A Bride & Groom to be married should provide, the country of their citizenship or individual certificates of non-impediment as well as a Certificate of Single Status/Sworn Affidavit to prove that they are married and single. This is also known as an affidavit of single-status or a negative marriage statement. The document is available by contacting the Bureau of Vital statistics in the city in which they reside.

Other uses for the document/certificate

  • The certificate will likely be needed as a supporting document when you’re getting married in a different country.
  • This form of identification is also required to be employed in a foreign nation.

External Links

Minister of gender
Civil registration



Leave a Comment