How to Reentry Permit In United States

Reentry Permit In United States By Online

  1. Fill out Form I-131 and apply for Form I-131, Application for a Travel Document. The link is located under the “Documents to Use’ in which you are able to download forms along with instructions on how to complete the forms.
  2. Fill in the forms thoroughly.
  3. The completed form should be sent along with the payee to the right address. the Direct Filing addresses of Form 131, Request for Travel Document

Required Documents For Reentry Permit

  • Application forms that are completed

Office Locations and Contact

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

For questions related to immigration services and benefits offered by USCIS, contact the National Customer Service Center:1-800-375-5283 (toll-free)
1-800-767-1833 (TDD for hearing impaired)



Filing fees


Reentry permits typically last for 2 years from date of the issue.

Documents to Utilize

Formula I-131, Request for Travel Document Form I-131, Application for Travel Document Instructions and forms

Documentation is needed

If you’re a lawful Permanent resident within the United States, you are permitted to travel abroad and then return certain restrictions. It is possible that you will encounter issues when you return. These might be due to:

  • Your Permanent Resident card becomes technically ineligible to allow you to reenter the United States if you are away in your home country of the United States for 1 year or longer.
  • The U.S. permanent residence considered as abandoned for absences of less than one year when you move to a residence in a different country.

It is possible to avoid facing issues by obtaining an re-entry permit. This permit proves that you didn’t intend to end your residency, and will permit the applicant to seek admission into America. United States after traveling abroad for upto 2 years without needing to apply for the return resident visa.

Other uses for the document/certificate

You can also apply for the reentry permit if plan to travel outside of the United States and you cannot or don’t want to apply for a passport in your country of origin.

External Links

  • USCIS:



Leave a Comment