Register Death and Obtain Certificate In Malawi By Online
- The person who is applying for the certificate must visit the district registra office to obtain an official death certificate
- The person fills in the form with all required information and attaches the death certificate to the form.
- The applicant must submit the completed application form to a police officer who is competent with the evidence of the event details of the death.
- If the officer in charge is satisfied that the event was in line with the details in the death report , he or she countersigns the report.
- The applicant then sends the application to the Registrar along with proof of the paying for death certificates.
- The person who is applying for the certificate waits several days until the registrar issues the death certificate.
Required Documents For Register Death and Obtain Certificate
- The Formal Death Certificate
- Death report
- Documentation of the citizenship of the deceased and the informant
- The proof of payment for the death certificate.
Office Locations and Contacts
The Registrar General
P.O. Box 100,
National Registration Bureau National Registration Bureau
Cabinet, Office of the President and Cabinet,
Capital Hill Circle, Private Bag 301
Capital City, Lilongwe 3, Malawi.
Telephone: +2651789311 / +2651789 411
A death certificate issued in Malawi costs an estimated 20,000 Malawian Kwacha
Death certificates are valid only after the death of a person.
It can take anywhere from 7 to 30 days to declare the death of a person in Malawi and obtain an official death certificate
- The Malawian National Registration Act was approved in 2009 and makes death registration mandatory and universal.
- To record a death, family members of the deceased or another representative of the deceased must complete the death report and submit an original copy at the office of the District Registrar.
- Date, place and cause of Cause of Death
- Full Name of the deceased
- Contact information of deceased
- Professional or Occupational Qualifications of the deceased
- The nationality of the deceased
- The deceased’s sexual partner
- The age of the deceased
- The length of time that residents reside in Malawi
- Signature of the Informant
- Full Name of the informant
- Address of the Informant
- Professions or occupations of an Informant
The Document is required
It is mandatory to record each death in Malawi. It is the obligation of the closest family members of the person who was present at the time of the death occurred, or who were in attendance during the last illness to report the death.