How To Single Status Certificate / Proof of Marital Status In Greenland

How To Single Status Certificate / Proof of Marital Status In Greenland

  • Visit the office of the parish of your town with all the necessary documents and ask to conduct a search to verify that you’re not currently married. The registrar will search the records to see if there is a wedding registrations.
  • If the results reveal that you’re not married, you will be issued the Certificate of Marital Status (Single Status Certificate)
  • It should be a document of your current residence as well as a certificate of marriage status from each of the locations you’ve lived since you reached the age of consent to be married. The documents shouldn’t be more than 4 months older. If you’re not an official citizen of the country that you are resident the documents of your home country should be provided.

The marriage certificate must include the following information: Name address (for not less than the past one year) Birth date Birthplace Citizenship Marital status

The certificate needs to be transliterated to Danish, German or English in the event of a different language.

Be aware that a basic Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment could not be sufficient for the marriage to occur in a different country. It is possible that you will be required by authorities in the foreign country to follow these requirements, so ensure you have enough time to process.

  • Certificates might require translation.
  • Certificates could require endorsement or exchanged with a locally acceptable certificate issued by your Consulate or Embassy in the country in which you are planning to marry.
  • Certificates might require legalization i.e. authentically stamped, also known by the name of an Apostille.
  • Certificates can require witnesses to sign an Affidavit affirming that you’re allowed to marry and it is attached to the.

Documents Required Single Status Certificate / Proof of Marital Status

  • Passport or National Identity Card.
  • A proof of address.
  • If you divorce or divorced, Decree Absolute.
  • If widowed or divorced, death certificate of the previous partner (and marriage certificate).
  • In the event that your address has changed through Deed Poll you must provide proof.
  • The applicable fee.

Office Locations and Contacts

Call The Government of Greenland

Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs

What Are All The Eligibility

Certificate of Marital Status From the city where you were born, as well as from your current place of your residence (if it is different). NB! A certificate of marital status could also be needed from other places , if required. The certificate should not be longer than 4 months old and translated if it’s not by the authorities in Danish, English or German. The certificate must contain the following information: Name, birth date and place of birth, the current address of residence, nationality, and marital status.


The documents should not be more than 4 months older than four months.


A certificate of your marital status (no longer than 4 months) from all places you’ve registered your marriage as a child to be married, and from your current home address (if you have a different residence).

Requirements Information

  • Name
  • Birth date
  • Birthplace of the child
  • Address
  • Citizenship
  • Marital status
  • The certificate needs to translate in Danish, English or German when it is not in a different language.

Documentation is needed

  • Greenland is an autonomous state in the Kingdom of Denmark situated between the Arctic Atlantic and Arctic Oceans, to the east and west of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago.
  • An Single Status Certification, also known as the No Marriage Affidavit or Certificate of Freedom to Wed or Certificate of Non Impediment is a swearing statement that states that you’re eligible to marry.
  • Overseas wedding authorities usually require additional proof that the person is free to get married. The evidence could include an admission in the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that there is no evidence of the individual being married before or a single status certificate or “No Records Result”.
  • Civil Status Certificate or the letter of no-impediment which confirms that you are married, unmarried divorced, widowed or divorced.

Information that could be helpful

  • Documentation of Residence Current and Marital Status
  • The documents must contain your name as well as your address for the last year, your date of birth, and your current marital status.
  • If you’ve lived in multiple countries after turning 18 it could be necessary to get a marriage certificate from every country. The documents should not be more than 4 months old.

Other uses for the document/certificate

If you’re planning to get married in a different country, you could require an official Certificate of Non-Impediment. The document can be referred to by many names like Declaration of Non-Impediment for Marrying, Statutory Declaration of Single Status Affidavit of a Planned Marriage, Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment for Marriage Abroad or Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of Non Impediment or Certificate of Nulla Osta Certificate of Independence to Marry , or just a certificate that allows you to get married.

External Links

The Government of Greenland

Greenland Yellow Pages

How To Single Status Certificate / Proof of Marital Status In Greenland
How To Single Status Certificate / Proof of Marital Status In Greenland

Greenland Guide


Legalization (tripartite confirmation on the document’s original):

  • The correct higher Ministry (usually it is the Ministry of Justice or in certain countries, it is the Ministry of the Interior) is required to legalize the person who given the divorce order or the death certificate (authentication in the name and signature of the person who issued that original certificate (not duplicate that is not the same as the original).
  • The Ministry of Foreign Affairs must legally recognize the person from Minister of Justice/Ministry for the Interior (mentioned above.) who has authorized the issuer of either the decree of divorce or death.
  • A local Danish diplomatic or consular office should be able to legalize the individual of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (mentioned above.) The person who legalized the individual who is a Minister or the Justice Ministry for the Interior.

Apostille (single confirmation on the origin document):

  • If the documents were issued by countries of the Apostille Convention ( it suffices to obtain an initial stamp on the documents at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (not an exact copy that is the same as the original).



Leave a Comment