Transfer of a Liquor License or Permit In Botswana By Online
- The applicants should go to the Town or District Council’s Commercial Office near you to begin the transfer procedure (see the address and contact information below|)}.
- Take the Application form for the transfer of a licensefrom the Town/District Council’s Front desk of the Commercial Offices or click this link to download the the form.
- Send the completed form together with supporting documents listed under the required document section below to the official in charge at the Town/District Council’s Commercial office.
- The official will confirm that all necessary information and documents are submitted and that the application meet the criteria for selection The applicants will receive an acknowledgement receipt.
- The application will be passed on onto the Liquor Control Authority for assessment as well as processing and consideration which will take about 30 working days.
- The applicants will be informed about the results of their application via an SMS, mail or telephone call.
- If the transfer of the license was approved it will then be released to the applicant for withdrawal in the Town/District Council commercial office where the application was submitted after payment of the applicable fees and charges and on the applicant’s national identity card and acknowledgement slip.
Required Documents For Transfer of a Liquor License or Permit
- Valid certified copy of National Identity Card (Omang) for shareholders, owners, and directors that are residents of the country.
- The passport must be certified as a copy working and residence permit for shareholders, owners or directors who are not citizens.
- The original copy or certified copy of the physical planner’s report confirming zoning of the land on which activities will be conducted. The physical planner is employed by the District Council and should be appointed by the applicants to validate the zoning.
- Original or verified copy of an report on environmental health for the premises of the business at issue. The report should be prepared through health inspections supervised by the District Council and the applicant must schedule the health inspector to inspect.
- The most current version of the annual returns form can be obtained by the Registrar of Companies and Intellectual Property.
Office Locations and Contacts
Ministry of Trade and Industry
Department of Trade and Consumer Affairs
The plot is 54380. Central Business District (CBD) Gaborone
Address for postage:
Private Bag 00252
Tel: (267) 3911233
Fax: (267) 397523
All Local Authorities (Town/District Councils Commercial offices) across the nation Contacts : Link
The hours of operation are 07:30 until 12:45 and 1345-16:30 from Monday through Friday, with the exception of public holidays.
The transfer of the alcohol license or permit may occur in the following circumstances when:
- Licensees are Botswana citizen or a wholly owned business of Botswana that holds a reserved licence for another citizen or a wholly owned citizen business;
- The license issued is for specific premises, and to other location inside the district city or town;
- the licensee is dead and his heirs or the beneficiary
- the licensee is declared insolvent or has sold his estate, for purposes of his creditors to his trustees;
- The licensee is liable, in the event of any legal disability, as well as the legal representative of his.
- Transfer licence fee of BWP100.00.
- It is valid for one calendar year, and is renewable after that time
Documents to Utilize
- Link“Application form”
- The processing time for the application is in thirty (30) day working hours.
- The full name of the licensee in the current period
- The full name of the individual to whom the license will be transferred to
- The full legal name registered with the company is the company
- Motives behind the transfer
- Business address change (in the event of a change in address of operation)
- Contact details
- Identification document number
- Details of the Business Registration
- Current liquor License details
- A declaration from the applicant
The Document is required
Transfer of a liquor license is the process of re-issuing the licence to a different person/company than the original the holder (person/company) of the license issued from Liquor Control Authority. Liquor Control Authority
Information that can be useful
Ref: LIQUOR ACT : Link
Government Service Portal:Link