Travel Permit for Pets (Pet Passport) In Botswana By Online
- Before visiting your veterinarian, you’ll be required to ensure whether your dogs or cats are:
- valid rabies immunisation record;
- or , in cases of kittens or puppies younger than 3 months or in the case of puppies and kittens under 3 months old, or in the case of puppies under 3 months old, (dam) was vaccined against the disease at least one month , but not longer than 12 months prior to the birth of the child or giving birth.
- there aren’t any restrictions on movement to control rabies within your region.
- The veterinarian who certifies your local official will require you to bring your pet for an examination prior to issuing an “Veterinary Certificate of Identification, Rabies Vaccination and Movement Permit for Dogs and Cats” to confirm their condition of your pet and the ability to travel.
- The certificate of moving will be issued promptly following the submission of your application provided that all of the above requirements are satisfied. The certificate should be with your pet on any trip since it serves as an entry permit for movement within Botswana.
For any other SADC member States that are not mentioned above owners must request an import permit for animals from the country in question prior to the official veterinarian in Botswana is able to issue a vet health certificate that allows these animals from Botswana. This is applicable to all countries in the the world. The reverse applies for cats and dogs being relocated to Botswana.
Office Locations and Contacts
Ministry of Agriculture
Private Bag 003, Gaborone
Tel: +267-3368 9000
Southern African Development Community (SADC)
Certain members from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) reached an agreement to create and harmonize pet travel regulations that allow pets to travel between member states. The agreement stipulates that they would no longer require a an import permit for veterinary animals from the destination country in order for a certificate of health may be issued. Cats and dogs can be brought in Botswana through the countries listed below, or exported from Botswana in the following nations within (SADC):
The Country of Origin, or destination:
- South Africa
You’ll need an “Veterinary Certificate of Identification, Rabies Vaccination, and the Movement Permit for dogs and Cats” in order you to take your pet in the above countries.
In the case of other SADC member States that are not mentioned above owners will have to obtain an import permit from a veterinarian from the respective country prior to the veterinarian who is official in Botswana is able to issue a vet health certificate to allow pets from Botswana. This applies to all other countries of the the world. The reverse is also true when cats and dogs are being relocated to Botswana.
If you are traveling with your pet in an area outside of SADC, you must be aware of Southern African Development Community (SADC)
it is up to the animal’s owneror agent of the animal to obtain an intransit permits for these countries. Permits office can assist by giving contact information of authorities who can help you obtain permits to transit in the country.
Information that can be useful
Travelling via air
Pets can be shipped in cargo without any accompanying air. There are numerous pet travel agencies as well as airlines that can be contacted to get more details.
Other uses for the document/certificate
This “Veterinary Certificate of Identification The “Veterinary Certificate of Identity, Rabies Vaccination and Moving Permit for Pets and Cats” is required to accompany your pet while traveling because it serves as an entry permit for movement within Botswana.