Waste Treatment License In Botswana By Yourself
- The application for the waste treatment license, more commonly called an Waste Management Facility License shall be addressed to the Director of the Department of Waste Management and Pollution Control office. Ministry of Environment, Natural Resources Conservation and Tourism (MENT) Office Location and Contact Information
- The application must be submitted by writing on a prescribed form called Waste Facility License Application Form obtainable at any of the Department of Waste Management and Pollution Control offices or download it from this link the Waste Facility License Application Form
- Complete the application form and send it, together with supporting documentation in the “Required Documents” section on this page and send it to the Department of Waste Management and Pollution Control office for review.
- The application should be accompanied by a fee for license that is BWP 1000.00 (charged for each vehicle ), which is to be paid according to the department’s preferred method of payment.
- When the application is received The officers receiving the application will look for any discrepancies or ineligibility of the documents submitted. If a discrepancy which cannot be fixed immediately appears within any one of the submitted documents, the form along with all documents submitted are returned to the person who submitted it. The application will not be accepted until the discrepancy is fixed.
- Candidates are issued with acknowledgement letters/payment receipts to prove the filing the application and to be used for reference in the event of a need.
- The Director’s office can ask for additional information pertinent for the request. In this case the required details must be submitted within the specified time period after the date of notification. If the applicant is unable to provide the information required the application will be denied.
- Once the evaluation of documents has been successfully completed The Director is required to create a license that will remain valid to an entire one (1) year. It specifies the scope of approval and the limitations.
- A written notice of the decision (Approval or Deferral or Rejection) regarding an application is sent to the applicant in writing within 10 (10) day working hours of the date of the submission on the form.
- If the Director is not satisfied that the applicant’s application has met the requirements of this application, then he will deny the application and inform the applicant in writing, including the reasons behind the decision.
- In order to obtain the license, the applicant is required to show their identity document, an approval letter, and proof of payment for the fee for license.
Appeal to MinisterAny person who is unhappy with the Director’s refusal to grant a license may within 28 days from the date of the refusal appeal the decision in the Ministry.
Required Documents For Waste Treatment License
- Fully completed Form duly completed- Facility License Application Form
- Map of location and site plan.
- Environmental Assessment Report (Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) or Environmental Monitoring Procedure (Emp) as well as an Environmental Management Plan (EMP), (Client to provide one of these documents in conjunction with recommendations by DEA)).
- Plan of operation.
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Lease contract or title deed that includes the site map
- Authorisation for land use by local authority (Zoning Permit)
- Environmental Health report
- Record keeping procedures
- Rehabilitation or facility closure plans
- Other additional information on documents which may be required from the Authority.
Office Locations and Contacts
Department of Waste Management and Pollution Control (DWMPC)
(Ministry of Environment National Resources Conservation and Tourism)
National Environmental Laboratory Building
Plot 20576 Magochanyama Road,Block 8 Industrial
Private Bag BR 132 Gaborone Botswana
Tel: +267 3911802/ 3934479
Fax: +267 3934486/3909953
Ministry of Environment, Natural Resources Conservation and Tourism MENT
Private Bag BO199 Gaborone, Botswana
The Government Enclave Plot 13064
Tel: +267 3647900 / +267 391 4955
Fax: +267 3951092
Toll-free Number: 0800 600 734
Ministry of Environment, Natural Resources Conservation and Tourism (MENT) Office Location and Contact Information
Region Offices for Waste Management and Pollution Control Contact:
- Gaborone Regional Office
Telephone: +267 371 6800/ +267 390 9953
- Francistown Regional Office
Private Bag F020 Francistown
Telephone: +267 241 2885/ +267 241 7355
- Selebi Phikwe Regional Office
P.O. Box 0727 Selibe Phikwe
Telephone: +267 261 0680/ +267 260 1066
- Maun Regional Office
P.O. Box 35 Maun
Telephone: +267 680 1244/ +267 680 1246
The working hours are 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 – 16:30 Monday through Friday, excluding Public Holidays.
Citizens and non-citizens aged 18 (18) years of age and older are eligible to apply.
BWP 1000.00 license cost (charged for each vehicle).
- The license will be in effect until the period of one (1) year, unless the license is suspended, revoked, or annulled from the Issuing Authority.
- The certificate is valid for a year and consequently requires renewal every year.
Documents to Utilize
The deadline for processing the application is the 10 days of working.
The Information You Need
- Application deadline
- Name of the company
- Type of facility for managing waste used for (metal, paper, oil used, plastic…etc
- Contact person details
- Physical address and postal location of facility
- Contact information for the facility (telephoneor fax number/cell no)
- The status of the applicant
- Personal details
- The applicant’s declaration
The Document is required
It is the Waste Treatment License (Waste Management Facility License) is granted to entities or businesses which operate facilities, such as landfill incinerators, wastewater treatment plant, or waste recycling/salvage facilities (Transfer stations and scrap metal yards sites for waste bailing, etc.) and recycling facilities for waste (Scrap yard paper, used oil plastic, glass etc.). The license lasts for one year and requires renewal each year.